S&V African Leather Magazine Vol14 No10 October 2020
This Magazine is sponsored by SAFLIA
Click the advert links for more info. • Download PDF
IN THIS ISSUE:
3 Sam Setter's Pills
- A new quip from Sam Setter in each issue.
3 Furniture Upholstery: Focus on Leather's Cinderella Market
- Demand up by 20%, says Hannitan's Rudolf Hanni.
- Finding hides isn't a problem - but there are caveats, says Fusion Leather's Denzil Spolander.
- Furniture influencing hide prices? That's fake news, says Midland Leather's Rudie Nieuwoudt.
- Similar quantities to last year, but in a rush, says Nakara's Theo Jauss.
- Demand up, prices still stable, says Leatherite's Kevin Thompson.
- Temporary hide shortage has cause price blip, says Giardini Pellami's Gabrielle Giardini.
- Chinese demand here to stay, says OR Leather's Johan May.
- Covid has boosted all local manufacturing, says Calgan Lounge's Cecil Kagan.
- Demand for leather furniture is up, but has settled down a bit, says Bravo Group's Heath Mirtle.
9 Exotic Leathers
- The science behind farming exotics and conservation - quotes from Dr Daniel Natusch of Epic Biodiversity.
- Nordstrom: Another retailer bows to pressure.
- A temporary victory for the industry against the State of California, with the battle to be renewed in November.
- Zambian crocodile farmers praise budget move on export duty.
14 Leather for Crafters
- Factory Depot: It's about price, price and price, says Shiraz Osman.
15 Footwear Leathers
- Zamleather pledges continued support for local cattle industry as Zambian Government steps up campaign for local manufacturing.
- Zambia Leather Industries Association seeks machinery from SA.
16 An Eclectic View
- Columnist H. Proctor writes about Biosphere vs. Technospere, and tanning's place in both worlds.
17 Weights & Measures
- Compiled by the ISTT.
- ERRETRE and Leather Naturally to again support the IULTCS Young Leather Scientist Grant Programme in 2021.
- Fuel price drop a boost in time for planting, says FNB Agri-Business senior agricultural economist Paul Makube.
- South African hides, skins and leather trade statistics for July.
Advertisers in this Issue
APLF (6), Cape Karoo International Ltd (9), ISTT (OFC), Lanxess (2), Mimosa (4), Rolfes Leather Division (11).
In The Next Issue
- Automotive upholstery leather - What does 2021 hold?