S&V Weekly Newsletter Vol.4 No.18, May 7, 2018
This Newsletter is sponsored by SAFLIA
Please note: Click on any ad to go to the advertiser’s website
Ihlobo vs Bata: Claim, counter-claim, and increasingly heated language
eThekwini (SA) – The dispute between Ihlobo Footwear and Bata SA over CMT work is being ratcheted up, with Bata still not supplying Ihlobo with work, and claiming fraud by Ihlobo, and Ihlobo in turn denying fraud and claiming 'bad faith' by Bata.
Catwalk going online
Pretoria (SA) – Independent retailer Catwalk Shoes is transforming itself from a bricks-and-mortar store to an online retailer, director Peter Thumbran has confirmed. https://www.facebook.com/catwalkshoesonline/. - firstname.lastname@example.org
SLTC Countdown - 2 weeks to go
Speaker changesDTI chief director textiles, clothing, leather & footwear Abisha Tembo will replace his leather & footwear deputy Jaywant Irkhede, who will be away.
Paolo Matelli, sales manager at Alpe, replaces his director, Ivan Peloso. His topic is outlined below.
Bookings and rooms availableSLTC secretary Nicola Phipps says 45 delegates have booked, and that there are still rooms available. Please contact her on email@example.com.
When: May 18-20.
Where: Villa Paradiso in the Hartbeespoort Dam area.
The speakers are:
- Dr Geoff Tomlinson, R&D Manager, UCL Company. Topic: Vegetable tanning - art or science?.
- Abisha Tembo, director: leather & footwear at the DTI. Topic: Industry status, policy and programmes.
- Paolo Matelli, Alpe. Topic: The latest in splitting technology and belly to belly shaving. Also automation in splitting and shaving.
- Dr Clive Jackson-Moss, director, International School of Tanning Technology. Topic: Student answers to all your technical questions.
- James Daniel, Stahl. Topic: TBC.
- 'Sam Setter', the World Leather columnist. Topic: Introducing features into the tanneries like raw material traceability and process automation with the objective to have sustainable, traceable and consistent leather.
- Quintin Marais, Rolfes. Topic: TBC.
- Matteo Cabrini, Thema Systems. Topic: TBC.
Birthdays this week
07/05/1936: Matt Barnard, Stanhope Boot & Shoe, Pinetown.
In Memoriam this week
08/05/2010: Bob Hunter (b. 18/11/1938), footwear agent, Johannesburg.
Do you have any names you’d like to add to our list of birthdays and In Memoriam? Please send the details.
ABSA Agri Trends 07/05: Hides & skins prices
Is listeriosis under control?
Trade Fair dates
For a list of local and international trade fairs covering footwear, leather goods, leather and PPE, visit our website: http://www.svmag.co.za/events.php
Online business structure for retailers
Need to get your retail store up to speed with this millennium and manage it online?
News & Classifieds: Tony Dickson, +27 (0)31 209 7505, firstname.lastname@example.org
Next newsletter: May 14, 2018.