S&V Protect Magazine
S&V Protect Magazine is the only South African magazine publication aimed exclusively at the PPE end user. The magazine is published quarterly and covers all aspects of the personal protective equipment and occupational health and safety industry. With editorial contributions from professionals within the industry the publication covers all aspects of the industry. The magazine is published digitally and is available for free via email and on our website.
S&V Protect Magazine Vol16 No2 Second Quarter 2022
IN THIS ISSUE:
- The scrapping of the mandatory use of facemasks in indoor public areas, along with other lockdown laws, shouldn't have much effect on the PPE industry, says BBF Safety Group's Deane Nothard, but there is still the issue of huge quantities of dumped FFP2/N95 masks which were being sold as basic facemasks - what happens with them now?
- DOT's gumboot factory closed.
04 Safety Footwear
- Nearly 25% of safety footwear inspected by the National Regulator for Compulsory Standards last year was non-compliant, the NRCS tells the industry.
- Hi-Tec's Interceptor Safiri - designed for adventure.
10 Bullet Resistant Vests
- What criteria to use when buying BRVs - the 5th in a series by Deon du Plessis of Bullet Proofing Technology.
12 Disease Control
- Finnish company AFFIX Laboratories is trialling an insect repellent spray aimed at fighting malaria, in Somalia and South Africa. It's different from other approaches because it is ALSO environmentally friendly.
13 Working at Height
- BBF Safety Group's Vanessa Ronald explains the special needs of women in this field.
14 Local Production
- Leveraging the brand: How BBF has expanded from safety footwear into various categories of PPE, and has done so through local production.
- Obesity: There's nothing jolly about being overweight, says Bonitas' Dr Morgan Mkhatshwa.
16 Food Security
- Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development has introduced a phytosanitary e-certification system.
- Global supply chain woes 'raise risk of food poisoning', says pork products producer Eskort.
17 Legal Issues
- Competition Commission versus Automatic Sprinkler Inspection Bureau and others.
- A health & safety training provider 'can help companies comply with legislation and embark on a holistic training journey', says Natalie Pitout of KBC Health & Safety.
19 Substance Abuse
- Testing for cannabis in the workplace 'is just as crucial as testing for alcohol', says Rhys Evans of ALCO-Safe.
20 Innovations - The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft and University of Hong Kong
- Communication: Temporary, local 5-G network to help fight forest fires.
- Artificial intelligence: RoboGrinder.
- Monitoring: Smart screws keep bridges, machines and wind turbines safe.
- Unique measurement technology: New hope for cancer treatment.
- Sustainable agriculture: Disinfecting seeds safety and sustainably using electron treatment.
- Medical: In-body robots bring benefits.
24 Buyers' Guide
- What's on offer.
Advertisers in this Issue
BBF Safety Group/Lemaitre (OFC), Hi-Tec Interceptor (02), Palm Terrapod (05), Rebel SafetyGear (07), S&V Calendar (01), S&V Directory (19), SAFLEC (08), Selective International Footwear/Kaliber (09).